Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chris Levine the Light Artist


The "Lightness of Being", a show by Chris Levine, the light artist, has just finished in East London. It was quite a breath of fresh air to go see a local exhibition that was more about making you be aware of the show's environment and not just about analysing the Queen's holograhic prints on a wall.


"His distinctive visual language and seemingly effortless control over his technological media has differentiated his work from the main stream. His images have resonant power that is both highly original and super modern. As organic and alive as they are focused and precise, the visual results are always compelling and have a sense of distilled purity."




Thanks for the photos Toshimi!
Quote from Chris Levine's Website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

INCREDIBLE! I am not a monarchist - got nothing against thm either -- but his show was not just about the Queen more but a demonstration over use of ight and thr feelings that arose - I have not flet like that before even from the likes of Turrel.
It simply felt great. Why is the show coming down so soon?
5 stars of brilliance.

Selph said...

Yeh I agree with you...I think it went down quickly cos it's quite pricey to rent that part of the Truman Brewery space. Shame really.

Anonymous said...

I never got to see the show because yeah it came down just as everyone was talking about it but I know 3 people who went and al said it was one of the most original shows they hadever sen. How on earth did this artist - more a pop and fashion star than potraitist get do do this - pictures of the back of her head??? wiping out her face??? As I understand it it was official work for the Chanel Islands and the Queen sat gfor him. I hope demand brings about anohter showing - pics I have seen were really quite something but what I understand the main buzz was about the trippy lighting. I read he is on some transcendental trip about light - let him carry on I want a dose of some of that. Rudy in Brighton.

Selph said...

Rudy, you are so right! How The F&^K did he get the queen to pose in some of those positions. "Excuse me Ma'am, can you close your eyes and let me take a photo of the back of your grey head pls?"
Seriously, well blagged on his part!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...